Tuesday 31 January 2017

The Bengali valentine's day

I am not a traditional bong in many ways. I don't see the point of culture and tradition that separates people/differentiates among them. However, you have to accept, cultural values sometimes mean a little to the innocent heart, only to the extent where it brings people closer.

Ah, 'The Valentine's Day' you'd say. That's what we do twice.....not really. So the Bengali valentine (locally known) is on the day of the pujo of the goddess of books. That's some forward thinking I'd say. More  bong proposals hit on this day....and there's practically an air of love. And to add to it, sweet Sanskrit slokas make it even more adorable.

Some rigid book worms are sad on this day though (includes me). I don't think I was sad because I couldn't read, I think I am just like that always.....anxious, worried about the future and it's only normal if what you want is merely a need. Things sometimes do get serious.....so that's me.

Moving on to the nice parts of this day. It's the day of yellow-surprised? Yes.....yellow, not red. Everywhere you look, bong ladies in yellow sarees crowd the streets. Sweet loving couples talk in a synchronised manner. And most of your friends are converting their crushes and some of your male friends sing a sad song.....and some of us just observe all this.

There's practically an excuse for everything that day. Every bong house has a youngster with one. Do I need to say, they had to run to the park? The pandal is just as sweet.....the 'dhuno' smell just does it for the bongs. I am particularly not fond of city pujos as I've experienced a community pujo in a township for years and that fun, grandeur and love could never match up to any city pandal. Except the loving couples.....
There's 'khichdi' for 'bhog' (prasad) - an absolute yum. And you can have it twice. Every semi-bong community will celebrate it. Your college, school, home grounds.....everyone.

I once remember a bong guy who had partially stopped mid way staring at my friend in her yellow saree. His love at first sight cost him a chair......yes, chair. In crowded pandals, you don't fight for food, you fight for chairs........and all forms of ragging come into play to attain a single chair. I cannot disclose who my friend was but the incident still brings a smile to our faces. It's pretty much another reason why I'm committing to a brilliant yellow outfit and pure macher jhol bhat for the occasion today.

Interested in a bong? This might be your day :) Of course, only if it's not a Scorpio, we are forever cold, unless.......that's a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked it? Share it and leave me your thoughts in comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...