Monday 8 September 2014

The Traffic signal ~ a short story

It was still autumn, the wind chilly and roads isolated in the early mornings. I as usual went for my old-school morning walk in the park nearby. As I stretched my arms wide and took some deep breaths, the air stunk of something rotting. I tried to ignore it but sooner sought its existence. I landed up at the other side of the park that I avoided due to the thick mist and as the other kinds of activity was more proactive here even in early mornings. I often imagined how the old might be dead doing their last worst deeds here and ironically the graveyard stood right beside. However what was strange was this young man on a bike, he stood very still staring at the traffic lights which dead red for the last few weeks. I neared him so much, I could almost feel his breath  on my skin and he didn't notice. I softly whispered, "The lights are asleep, they need rest, perhaps it's going to be a long time, this road is not very important". He carelessly nodded, gave me a 'who-are-you-to-interrupt' look and wound his bike around and left. I merely smiled at the situation, more at the handsome guy he was and resumed my walk.
There was something which made me uneasy the whole day, no matter what I did, I just wanted that moment back and I wanted to ask him why did he behave that strange. I almost felt the insecurity you would feel if someone tried black magic on you and you were waiting for it to work on you unsure whether to trust it. It was despicable in school and I walked back home with my books in hand. Some students even called out a farewell but I hadn't replied as it sounded like constant and the final farewell. It is strange how I had become so 'superstitious' I should say.

The following morning I didn't want to go for a walk for obvious reasons, yet my family which was almost always against morning walks insisted. Everything was getting creepier by the hour, I decided to meet the guy and ask him to stop it however. I don't know what I was doing but I started towards the park. The guy was right where he left last time, this time his black leather jacket had a seductive wet rain mark all over. I hated the thought even if I couldn't disagree, this thing was queer. He noticed me from some distance this time and signaled me to look at the traffic light, I did. It was no different. He had a smirk on his face and once again he was gone before I could tell a word. This time I realized it was not normal, that I blankly gazed at him those few moments almost hypnotized.

Next morning I wore my sunglasses and before any signaling I blatantly bursted, "Listen Mister, I don't know what things you do or use but I simply am not interested, please keep my family and me away from it".

"I am sorry mam if I hurt you in any way. Oft times I myself have mistook you for my wife and stared at you back, however when I realized I drove away. The look on your face makes you look very uncomfortable at times, I must say"

"Yes, I thought you dealt with...,with..."

"Magic? I wish I could." A sad smile touched his lips and he looked at the traffic light and said, "I lost my wife and child here, that very moment this light had stopped working, whenever I am here, I just feel it was a sign, the day this light works again  I should have them back. Crazy me but I am better crazy, reality takes them away from me." Thick drops of water were running down his cheek.

I neared him, this time not scared of any mystical powers. I wiped the tear off and hugged him very tight, the results weren't good as my sports wear got flooded with no-rain water. Sometimes a hug can be all it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked it? Share it and leave me your thoughts in comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...