Tuesday 24 December 2013

It's Christmas-'jingle goes the bell'


While the bells jingle away, I remember way long back....a story i had read where the little girl struck a match stick to get a glimpse of Christmas.[ The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Andersen.]
Maybe beside your window pain there is a little girl/boy who's striking a match on Christmas eve.Nothing ever happens but their hope never burns out.

The air is filling with nostalgic carols as the snow's thickening outside.I can still smell the baked cakes.Every house is celebrating with light,cakes,gifts.And yet not everyone.


Through the window, I had often seen a little girl with bright blue eyes standing outside the church. Everyday  I noticed it die, the bright brilliance would turn dull with every sight. After several days, I was gone,then today I returned on a Christmas night.She stands outside the church, to beg I think.I notice she's bald now and eyes almost grey. She's shy, some bully her. She has no match box, a bowl instead?
She's freezing yet her pale lips sing along.

She was cold and before she uttered, she fell into my arms.The little girl, for a moment I felt like she was mine, for me to look after.Days had passed by and lonesome days had got the better of me.Being an orphan I had been through so much,a wanderer so often.The pale white skin, the bald head had given me a tremor.I knew it then when she tried to say 'lu-k-e-miah'.She knew not much and I told her not.She chattered away before the fire place, 'How she had never seen one so big','How she wanted to go to school','How her mother didn't know how to bake a cake'.......Everyday she would come because it was free.No one would stop her way,no one would seem any different than her,they all prayed.She wished for what they had and they wished for things more.Christmas night was that once every year, she hoped for the miracle ,one that would make things fine.And then her mother would bake cake.And when it never happened, she thought it will be next year.

I had been to a cake shop, my cake lay in my hands.Her questions seared my bosom when I thought how time was dwindling for her.Then by reflex,I gave her my cake,I did regret a while but never again.She smiled back with all her might,her pale eyes defying her efforts.The brimming smile on another's face made my Christmas so special.She won't live much maybe, but her thoughts will!It was a difference of the border across which we stood, where life had chosen her to grow in adversity while other enjoyed dire wealth.

Think of it!Maybe you could be her.It's lucky if your not but spare a thought.Let this Christmas be beyond just the mortal self.Let it give a smile to the multitude than just oneself.Even if one of us would spread one smile each, it would be a billion smiles.At least on this one day there would be no hunger, a little less turkey may be for us.No much, is it?
For the feeling of it, do it once, next time I wouldn't have to tell you.This will be your best Christmas ever, beyond words-where the true spirit of Christmas is felt,where it would bring light to every heart.Because Christmas is not just fun, it's alot more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liked it? Share it and leave me your thoughts in comments below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...